Not so fast; time to back away from the fried foods and realize that prevention is not only possible but can change your life!
We might be born with a specific set of genes, but our lifestyles turn those genes on and off thus can delay and/or prevent heart disease. For example, I have been tested to have a hereditary tendency to have high bad cholesterol. However, because of my diet and exercise mine is under control and not a problem. Yet when I look back at times when it was not as healthy it was skyrocketing! My change in lifestyle reversed my risk factors for heart disease. (How I lowered my cholesterol naturally)
You too can prevent and reverse your heart disease risks. Here are some ways that you can help yourself get turned in the right direction!
- Stop for 5 minutes and do some deep breathing – stress has a big impact on your healthy. Deep breathing is a great way to reduce stress.
- Eat one extra fruit today – fruit and veggies are full of antioxidants which help keep you healthy. (Click here for a fruit and veggie challenge).
- Take a walk at lunch – all the exercise and activity you can get will be helpful. So instead of sitting at your desk get up and take a walk. Helps with stress too!
- Cut back on your dinner portions – obesity is a leading cause of many diseases including heart disease. So eliminate some extra pounds by eating smaller portions.
- Turn off the TV and head outside – walk the dog, play with the kids, garden or whatever else you enjoy. Just get moving!
It only takes one small change a day that will help you prevent heart disease. Make a commitment today to not let your family history give you the excuse to make bad choices. You have control over your health!
Your Turn - how else can you get started? Have you yourself had any luck preventing heart disease?