Bad days are draining. Not only are you emotionally depleted and depressed, but it seems to take all motivation and self control out of the picture! Kind of hard to get motivated to walk for an hour when the only thing you want to do is crawl back into bed! So there goes your attempt at leading a heart healthy lifestyle.
Don’t stress! There are ways to cheer yourself up that can be simple and quick.
My Favorite Ways to Cheer Up:
- Small Indulgences – Fancy and decadent can make for a quick turnaround in your attitude. For example one time I was having a rough day and called my friend to see if I could stop by. I did not have much time, but she was great at knowing exactly what was needed. When I arrived she had made a cake (she reduced her stress by making cakes – always good to have a friend like that), and had put a slice of cake on a china plate, made coffee and put that in a nice china cup. As simple as this was the decadent piece of cake and the formal setting really cheered me up. So now, I will take the time to make things just a bit nicer.
- Put on your favorite music and dance around the house or at least sing out loud. I keep a playlist on my phone of songs that I know pick me up and keep me going!
- Get moving – as much as you don’t want to exercise right now, it does help you to cheer up. Exercise releases good hormones that make you happy, so at a minimum try and get 10 minutes in.
- A good cup of coffee and a browse around a book store. I don’t know what it is about book stores, but they calm me and make me happy. Coffee helps too!
- A dip in the pool or hot tub. I have been swimming since a really young age; water makes me calm and happy.
- Watch funny YouTube videos. My personal favorite? Laughing babies, I love the sound of laughing babies it always makes me smile.
How to Cheer Yourself Up:
If some of my favorite ways don’t sound good to you, create your own cheer up list. Write down everything that you do that makes you happy. It does not matter how small or large the activity or item is, if it makes you happy then write it down. Once you have your list keep it in a place that you can easily access when you need to cheer up.
Then on your bad days go through the list till you are feeling better.
Remember we create our own happiness, so take action everyday to make sure you are happy and living the life you deserve.
Your Turn – how do you like to cheer yourself up?